11/26/10

Baby Bootcamp - Round 1

Logan got to meet a very special person this weekend. Grandmom Janie was in town and we were so excited he and Austin got to finally meet her. She is Somerset's grandmother and we all grew up playing at her house and she would take us places and give us yummy treats when we spent the night over there. Oh! And we would play Nintendo and board games - very good memories are attached with Grandmom Janie :)

Grandmom Janie, Somerset, and Logan


We went to Lauren's and had a little play date with Austin during her visit. This is really the first time the boys say each other - I think I've said that before, but I think they really know they are looking at another baby :) It was too cute!



Logan was staring at Austin playing in the bouncy seat - he has a similar one at home and I think he was admiring the farm animals on Austin's ;)


Sweet Austin





Besties!

Logan is checking Austin out






Austin had just discovered his feet recently and Logan has too- they talked about how they had that in common - it was a pretty big convo




Soph sitting proud next to her baby

My sweet boy in his overalls that Aunt Barbara gave to him - how cute is he? Thanks Aunt Barbara!! :)

We get all the time that he looks like Trey and like me - we just think he looks like Logan - but I will say I see Trey in his face in this photo


Okay - so Baby Bootcamp went into session last night. I know I know, I said it would be next weekend, but Trey and I got antsy and decided on date night last night to give it a try. We said if it didn't work we could just swaddle him for the rest of the week then start fresh next weekend and be consistent since I wouldn't be working any longer. Well, I think Logan did pretty well considering we changed almost his whole night routine cold turkey. We had date night then came home and he was asleep. We changed him and put him in a long sleeve onesie then the winter sleepsack. I did our usual sing, read, then a little from a bottle (yes, we do still have to break that habit) and placed him in the crib tired, but awake. He played for a little while, then the crying started. And it went on for 30-45 minutes. Crying turned into screaming, and screaming escalated to choking and coughing with big tears streaming down his sweet face. It broke my heart. I never thought I would be that upset about the crying - but it wasn't until he was screaming so much he became horse that I started tearing up. We kind of did some of the Ferber Method and went into his room every 3-7 minutes then waited 10 minutes. We traded turns and would rub his belly and tell him he needed to go to bed and we were right here. He wouldn't even look at us - he kept screaming. Bless his heart. :( That was quite possibly one of the hardest things I have ever done.
He finally passed out at 9:25 pm and stayed down until 10:45pm. He woke up crying and it took him awhile to settle down. Then, he stayed asleep until 2:30 am. He woke up screaming and I did the whole thing over again - 45 minutes later after checking on his several times he seemed to fall asleep. He jerked awake and screamed even louder so I went in there and gave him a bottle. He drank it down quickly then I put him back in the crib to go back to sleep. He cried a little while but finally drifted back to sleep. He woke up again at 6:00 am and cried but went back down. He awoke for the day at 8:16 am and played in his crib with his hands and talked to himself until 8:35 am. I was impressed!
He was soooo sleepy today because he lost so much sleep last night. He has eaten and taken cat naps all day - i put him in the crib 2-3 times to take a nap but he only stayed down 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Round 2 is happening right now - and I almost don't want to say how well its going! We did our night routine and I put him in the crib. He hasn't cried yet and is fast asleep now. One big difference - I gave him a lovie to chew and hold. What can I say? If it helps soothe him to sleep I am gonna try it. But, I know he can't stay asleep with it in the crib so when before we go to bed I will go in and pry it from his sweet baby fingers :) I am watching him on the video monitor and he is doing great! He talked himself to sleep using his lovie. Yay!
Now I am sure he will be up in the middle of the night, but hey, if the beginning is going this well - that is major progress to me :)
Sorry for the long details - I want to remember what we did and am using this blog as an online baby book. Hope everyone has a good week - I definitely will since its my LAST week at Work!!

No comments: