6/21/10

Walking in Memphis...

Actually, that is exactly what we did NOT do in Memphis this weekend - walk a lot! Whew - let me just say that it is entirely TOO HOT in Arkansas - and Tennessee! Oh my - I seriously almost melt every time I step outside. Just Dreadful. But, we did have an amazing last getaway weekend before Logan arrives!! It was calm, peaceful, and full of yummy food!! Of course at 35 weeks I was uncomfortable to say the least, but it was well worth it. Some last minute precious time with my hubby is just what I needed. We tried to soak in all the quiet we could, because in a few weeks there will be no quiet, probably not again for 18 years! ha!

We arrived Saturday and checked into the hotel. We decided to try River Oaks for dinner - but they were packed solid with reservations. So we agreed to sit in the bar area and have dinner. It was not crazy and it was still a nice area to be so we had a good time. I ordered a delish Shirley Temple (my pregnancy drink) and we had one of the best meals ever - seriously! It was quite expensive, but well worth it. I wish I took pics of the meal, but I forgot my camera that night. Appetizers were so good and the dinner was heavenly. I had halibut which was the best I've ever had - so fresh. Trey had duck which he went on and on about an hour after we left the restaurant. Key Lime pie was for dessert and it was tasty. It was a great experience and we will absolutely go back. We like to consider ourselves Foodies - somewhat - and it was definitely worth writing home about!

Sunday, Trey had two restaurants picked out from food network/blogs which were Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken and Central BBQ.



Gus's definitely lived up to its world famous name! It was the best fried chicken we have ever had - the crust was amazing and even my white meat was moist! Don't get us started about the sides - AMAZING!!!!




It was way too hot - as I mentioned before - so we drove around in the air conditioning of the car to downtown Memphis and looked at some of the historic spots. One of them being the hotel where MLK was shot and killed.




We decided to go see a movie in the air conditioning and we chose The Killers - too cute. It was a good movie - definitely a renter if you don't plan on seeing it in the theater.


We ate dinner at Central BBQ which was super good. I am not a huge meat fan - I mostly live on carbs, but the ribs at Central were to die for. Seriously. They were perfectly cooked and the meat was still juicy - oh. my.goodness. I ate more than half the order that we shared! I honestly cared more about the ribs than the mac and cheese! (crazy I know!)



We went to bed early and got up Sunday refreshed! Well - I was tired since I tossed and turned all night with my body pillow. Being 35 weeks is just plain uncomfortable. No way to get around it. But we ate at Dyer's Burgers before we left which was delish. They fry their burgers and it is definitely worth a stop on Beale street!


I am so glad we got to go for one last trip before baby boy arrives - it was a much needed getaway and so nice to spend time with Trey. I am sorry I didn't get pics of us on the trip - shame on me! But I will take a 35 week pic this week and post it - I go to the doctor today and will give an update if I am making any progress!

No comments: